The Board of Trustees of the Auglaize County Public District Library System recognizes that confidentiality of patron records is defined as our responsibility to our patrons to maintain the privacy of their personal information including borrowing records and identifying information. This policy specifies when it is permissible to disclose this personal information.
- A person in possession of his library card in hand and is known by the library staff has full access to all patron information pertaining to that card. No further verification is necessary at the circulation desk.
- A person possessing only the library card number needs to provide verifying information (address or telephone number and date of birth) in order to have full access to patron information at the circulation desk.
- A person without a library card in hand or library card number is required to give the following verification: name, address, telephone number, and date of birth in order to have full access to information about his own patron information at the circulation desk. This information, including the patron's library card number, should be given only at the circulation desk, where verifying information is available on the computer.
- Patron information can be given at the circulation desk to a third party if that party is the parent/guardian/custodian of a minor patron. The parent/guardian/custodian must be in possession of the minor patron’s library card or provide verification of the minor patron’s address, telephone number, and date of birth.
- Patron information can be given at the circulation desk to a third party if that party is the spouse/partner or primary caretaker of the patron. The patron must have a signed waiver form on file at a library in the ACPDL System. The spouse/partner or primary caretaker must be in possession of the patron’s library card and be listed as an authorized third party in the patron’s computer registration file.
- All telephone inquiries require a patron name, library card number, and verification (date of birth of the patron owning the library card) in order to have full access to patron information. No patron information will be given over the telephone without the library card number.
- No personal information, including address and/or telephone number, of a patron or staff member is to be given out to any person not authorized by such library user, including any agency of State, Federal, or Local government, except pursuant to such process, order or subpoena as may be authorized under the authority of, and pursuant to, Federal, State, or Local law relating to civil, criminal, or administrative discovery procedures or legislative investigatory power.
- Upon receipt of such process, order or subpoena, the officers and agents of the Auglaize County Public District Library System shall consult with the Office of the Auglaize County Prosecuting Attorney to determine if such process, order or subpoena is in proper form. Said officers and agents shall disclose such record only upon consent of the user or upon advice of said counsel that such process, order or subpoena is in proper form.